We all have our own ideas of what a textbook narcissist is like, and usually, it is somewhere along the lines of an extroverted abuser. However, there is also a type of narcissist that by all appearances may seem introverted, sensitive, and caring, yet when you least expect it, they will tear you apart.
Similar to a stealth bomb, you will never see it coming with a covert narcissist. Due to their highly defensive nature, emotional vulnerability, and quiet manipulations, the covert narcissist is a breed all on their own. In order to better understand this concept, you must understand that a narcissist is someone who will take a toll on your sensibilities and self-esteem. However, a covert narcissist may be much harder to spot, if you aren’t sure of what you are looking for.
1. They will only admit they are wrong if it means they are going to get something out of it. Otherwise, they will argue with you until you are both blue in the face.
2. They may obsess about other people’s accomplishments under the guise of praise, however, they are actually quite resentful of the other person.
3. They seem empty, as though something is missing, but you can’t quite put your finger on what it is.
4. They are extremely stubborn, and will not relent on getting what they want.
5. Lying comes easy to them, and they are able to create and perpetuate lies quite efficiently.